Are you looking to add some drama to your look with black or red hair? While achieving these striking hair colors at home is possible, it’s important to follow the right steps and take proper precautions. Here’s a DIY guide on how to create black and red hair colors at home using hair dye or other methods.
Supplies You’ll Need:
- Hair dye in your chosen shade of black or red
- Plastic gloves
- Mixing bowl and brush (if required by your chosen dye)
- Hair clips
- Old clothing or a cape to protect your clothes
- Petroleum jelly or barrier cream to protect your skin
- Color-safe shampoo and conditioner
Steps to Create Black Hair at Home:
- Choose Your Black Shade: Pick a black hair dye shade that matches your desired outcome. Options include natural black, jet black, and various shades in between.
- Preparation: Wear old clothing or use a cape to protect your clothes. Apply petroleum jelly or barrier cream along your hairline and ears to prevent staining.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into manageable sections using hair clips. This ensures even color distribution.
- Mix the Dye: If your chosen dye requires mixing, follow the instructions on the packaging to create the dye mixture.
- Apply the Dye: Begin at the roots and work your way down, ensuring each section is evenly coated with dye. Use a brush or applicator if provided with your dye.
- Processing Time: Follow the recommended processing time mentioned in the dye instructions. Set a timer to avoid over-processing.
- Rinse and Condition: After the processing time is up, rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water until the water runs clear. Use a color-safe conditioner to restore moisture.
- Style as Desired: Style your black hair as desired, whether that’s straightening, curling, or leaving it natural.
Steps to Create Red Hair at Home:
- Choose Your Red Shade: Select a red hair dye shade that suits your preference. Red shades can range from fiery red to auburn.
- Preparation: As with black hair dye, protect your skin, clothes, and surroundings from potential stains.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into sections for even application.
- Mix the Dye: Mix the red hair dye according to the instructions provided.
- Apply the Dye: Start at the roots and work your way down, ensuring each section is evenly coated. An applicator or brush can help with precision.
- Processing Time: Follow the recommended processing time specified on the dye’s packaging.
- Rinse and Condition: Rinse your hair until the water runs clear and use a color-safe conditioner to keep the red color vibrant.
- Style Your Red Hair: Style your red hair as desired, whether it’s loose curls, straight locks, or any other style.
- Always perform a patch test before using hair dye to check for any allergic reactions.
- Follow the instructions provided with the hair dye carefully.
- Consider using color-safe shampoos and conditioners to extend the life of your black or red hair color.
- Be aware that red hair dye may fade faster than black, so touch-ups may be needed.
Creating black and red hair colors at home can be a fun and transformative experience. However, if you’re uncertain about the process or desire a specific outcome, it’s advisable to consult a professional colorist for guidance and expertise.